TEYL in the practicum: mapping supervisory and teaching approaches
February 2018 – December 2020
This is an inter-institutional project led by Flávia Vieira (Minho University, Braga) and Sandie Mourão (CETAPS, Nova University, Lisbon), and involves colleagues in 10 higher education institutions that run an MA in Teaching English in primary education in Portugal.
- To produce and disseminate knowledge on supervisory and teaching approaches developed in TEYL master programmes in Portugal, so as to understand similarities and differences among practicum models, as well as their impact on learner and teacher development
- To improve supervisory and teaching approaches based on research results
- To consolidate the PEEP network through joint collaboration in research development and dissemination focused on members’ concerns and agendas for action
Why MAp? (Mapping Approaches)
Map (Noun) – a diagrammatic representation of an area of land or sea showing physical features, cities, roads, etc.; Verb: represent (an area) on a map; make a map of.
The ‘map’ metaphor signals;
- The intention to explore an unexplored area (beginning to understand/ make visible what is still largely unknown)
- The intention to highlight and situate rationales & practices (what is done? Why? What for?…)
- The intention to grasp the diversity and/or convergence of practices as ‘places’ in a larger ‘territory’ (the field of teacher education in TEYL)
- The intention to gain awareness of paths undertaken/ to undertake so as to enrich and empower that territory
- The intention to share with others a possible blueprint about/ for action
International Conference: ‘Teachers and teacher educators: Education and professional development for early language learning‘ – TEdELL2020 Virtual 12 – 14 November 2020. FCSH, Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
Symposium: ‘Mapping teacher education and teaching approaches in TEYL curricula in Portugal’. Ana Isabel Andrade & Ana Raquel Simões, Elisabete Silva & Isabel Orega, Flávia Vieira & Sandie Mourão. Click on the LINK to watch the recording.
To read the e-document containing links to the executive summary in English click on this LINK.